Saturday 9 September 2017

Notes from an Islander...

I love beach-combing this isolated strip of beach!
I am an Islander!  That will never change, as long as I live, wherever I live.  As an artist in various fields I am constantly inspired to create.  As a professional singer in the classical field I have enjoyed more than 25 years travelling around the world and performing operas, operettas, musicals, oratorios, concerts and recitals, but I am now ready for a change. Which brings me to my next project...

Old friends Oswald, Eustace, Horace and I salute the Sun...
The ideas have been in my head for a while, but this morning 9th September 2017 I made it real.

Day 1:  6am - Cool but dry bright morning.  Myself and my cameraman, James, drove down to Harty Church to begin shooting film footage for my music video of "The Old Churchyard". We met not one person, save for a covey of young Partridge and flocks of other field birds along the three mile stretch of twisting road  - no traffic!  Perfect conditions!  Back home for 'hot' breakfast by 9am! 

The purpose of this video is to accompany an album of traditional, contemporary and original folk ballads which I am in the process of recording.  There will be two other videos; "Who knows where the time goes" and "The loveliest of days" (my own composition) filmed both on the Island and in rural France.  All songs will feature on the album.
The coast is clear...
 The purpose of this blog is to record this project and share it with you.  I hope you will enjoy this journey with me and that I prove to be an entertaining travelling companion.
Moon-walking at the location of my music video for "Who knows where the time goes"...
In the coming months I will be preparing for the recording; filming and editing video footage and organising a series of concerts around the country with fellow singer/musician James, entitled 
"Classi-Folk".  The concert will feature songs from my album as well as a collection of songs, duets and ballads from an eclectic mix of the classical and folk genre - including, Italian, Sicilian, Neapolitan, Spanish, French, English, Scottish, Irish.  Dates and more details will become available as we progress...  Watch this space.

Harty Church - The location for my Music Video "The Old Churchyard"

Just over a year ago, after a long period of silence, I took up my guitar again.  I was always a novice, but as I began to discover new repertoire from the 'jewelled' folk tradition I realised that I loved accompanying myself - I devoured new songs, airs and ballads and learned new chords, techniques on the guitar - my new-found love.  Although still a novice I have collected together a number of beautiful folk ballads, some haunting, some joyful, some sad, some uplifting and thought provoking and all poignant and relevant to a changing world that needs more than ever, love, forgiveness and peace.  I have worked in my own arrangements and will be collaborating with fellow artists on keyboards, percussion, bass and strings to create a diverse playlist (which keeps growing)!

Sun, Sky and the sea...
I would love to take you along with me on this journey, who knows how it will turn out!  I'll keep you updated on progress and all the many other artistic projects that make up (and sometimes haunt) my life.  Look out for photos, videos, sneak previews of the tracks and updates.

Ideal for sailing?
 If you are a folk musician/singer or would be interested in a collaboration project (I have still yet to work with a Didgerydoo-ist) I would love to hear from you!

...at the heart of the beach...
Meanwhile - the tide is in, the weather is still good for a young Autumn and I am going Kayaking...


5 comments:

  1. An inspirational beginning. Have fun on your journey! "May the road rise up to meet you..."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fab! Keep posting updates on Facebook. Can’t wait to read and hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great start guys - thanks for the support and interest - more coming soon. "May the wind be at your back..."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Weldone! Can't wait for the concerts! Enjoying the journey is as important as the end of it, if not more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "May the sun shine warm upon your face.."

    ReplyDelete