Wednesday 18 October 2017

Turning the tide

Early morning beach-combing...

Hello Folks!
Most of my ideas and inspirations (the good ones and the not so good ones), happen when I am not working and when I least expect it.  Usually on early morning walks like these...


Golden sunrise

I've been known to be sprawled out on a far distant beach on "holiday" and spend the whole time planning the launch of new companies, programming concerts, selling homes and buying and remodelling rustic, rural farm cottages, even cottages by the sea.


Faerie treasure..

But I don't think I am alone in this, as when we relax and slow down the mind chatter - that's when the magic happens...


Fire-side Folk with "Songbird"

I guess that is what happened here.  I was on a birthday break with my partner in Dingle, Ireland - one of my favourite places on the planet.  The peninsula is stunning and wild, just as I like it.  The music scene sparkling with huge talent.  The company entertaining and needless to say the beer ...


Recording at Ten21, Kent with my new "Seagull" guitar.

It has taken a little while to organise and prepare, but over the last two weeks I have started recording my own Folk Ballads Album "Simple Folk".  And with the help of Sean Kelly at Ten21 we are over halfway through laying down basic guitar and vocal tracks for the fourteen track album.

Lost in translation...

All I can say is that the tracks so far sound terrific and I am really excited to get going with the rest.  Over the next few weeks I will be adding keyboard, oboe, accordion, percussion and backing vocals to some of the tracks, so although it is a folk ballads album, it should be varied and dynamic.

Sean Kelly at the helm in Ten21 studios...

It has been quite a few years since I was last in a recording studio (a number of incarnations ago), but after a few practice runs we settled down to making music - I haven't felt the true pleasure of that in a long time.


Stranded on the M25 with a flat tyre - what does one do?

As I am still a gigging/touring singer of opera and classical music, I am constantly on the road.  It doesn't always go to plan, so one has to make the most of the opportunities as with this impromptu roadside moment.  But over the years I have had great fun trawling the world to perform in all types of venue; stages, barns, theatres, stadiums, cruise ships, front rooms (I'm not joking), castles, stately homes, parks, and African savannas - marquees are the worst!


Weddings...

Opera...

Musical Theatre...

Concert...


A truly wondering minstrel...

Even Panto...

And so, in the tradition of moving onward and keeping afloat in a constantly changing seascape,  keep a look out for new updates, previews and news of what comes next as I await the turn of the tide and look forward to some plain sailing.


Sahara sunset


On the art front, I'm still creating and with my head full of new ideas will be heading off to my rustic french retreat to try and let it all out.

Cherry blossom
Hunting

And so as I head off to France for a "break" watch out for more photos, artwork and possible sound/video clips. 


Thanks for listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment